If you are wanting to know if a property in the Auckland Council area is able to be subdivided, this is the initial information you need:

  • Council Zoning Rules. Contact the local Council and find the Zoning of the land. The council planner should also be able to give you basic rules for your site. Specific information required is:
    • Density (the minimum area required for a dwelling)
    • Access widths and gradients
    • Road Hierarchy
    • Building and impermeable surface coverage limits
    • Yard restrictions and shape factors
    • Hazards noted on the site (eg contaminated soil, high noise areas etc)
    • Protected vegetation listed on site
    • Roading or other designations.
  • Drainage information. This can be obtained from Council, a surveyor or Councils GIS website found here. From this website you can search the address, turn on aerial photos, contours and underground service data (see the, “Search” and “Map content” tabs). You specifically need to look for Waste water and Stormwater connections for the site and the distance to the nearest Fire Hydrant.
  • Vegetation. If there are significant trees on site or overhanging the site then an arborist should be consulted.
  • Consult the Certificate of Title for the site to establish issues that may restrict subdivision. Common issues are existing easements, Consent notices and covenants. A Surveyor or Lawyer will be able to provide this information or it can be ordered directly from Land Information NZ here.

Most sites will have issues raised from this list that will need to be worked through. Some issues will be able to be satisfied by careful design, others by additional construction. Professional advice should be sought regarding the issues for your specific site. Your Professional Land Surveyor is the key person to consult as they have expertise and knowledge over all these areas. Boundary Consultants will also be able to provide an initial cost estimate and time frames for the development.